Today the West Ottawa girls tennis team earned their second straight OK-Red Conference Title, winning the Conference Tournament with 52 Points. A year ago they split the Red with Rockford, with Rockford winning the duel season, and West Ottawa winning the Conference Tournament. This year the girls own the title outright, winning both the regular season and the conference tournament.
West Ottawa won 5 flights, and were finalist at 2 more. Here are results from the championship matches:
1. Alayna Bowman (Rock) d. Chloe Karp (WO) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Delanie Reibschleger (Rock) d. Kennedy Dumas (WO) 6-2, 6-3
3. Madison Wollenzier (WO) d. Whitney Howard (Rock) 6-0, 6-0
4. Ava Wegmeyer (WO) d. Kami Lee (Hud) 6-0, 6-1
1. Abby Ducharme/Emily Ramsay (Rock) d. Josie Stauffer/Reegan Zomer (Cal) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jolene Soriano/Katie Frauenheim (WO) d. Sydney Sly/Chloe VanEck (Rock) 6-2, 7-6
3. Kayla Lebster/Tyliea Bethke (WO) d. Zuzu Trottier/Brooke Dahlke (Rock) 6-4, 6-3
4. Sutton MacInnes/Adria Hamilton (WO) d. Delaney Emerson/Kelsey Howard (Rock) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
Captains for this team are seniors Madison Mitchell, Caroline Sisson, and Madison Wollenzier.
Mark Doren and Brian Metz are our assistant coaches, and have done an outstanding job helping prepare the girls all year long.
So, in recap, the final OK-Red Conference Standings for Girls Tennis are:
1. West Ottawa
4. Grand Haven
5. East Kentwood
On Thursday the girls will compete in Regionals at Hudsonville. Regionals are the first round on the State Finals. There are eight regions in Division 1. Our particular region is comprised of the following 11 teams:
The top two teams from each region advance to the State Finals in Midland.
Thanks to the many people who came out to support the girls today. Tennis is more and more becoming a community event, and I’m glad to see that.
Finally, I just want to say once more how much I enjoy coaching these girls. They work so hard. The collective amount of hours they put in all year round to play at this level as a group is enormous. But it is obviously paying off, and it’s so much fun to watch.